Monday, November 5, 2007

Field Trip







































THE PARTHENON










A few months ago, I scheduled a tour of the Parthenon in Nashville since I knew we would be studying Greece this last week. We read a few of the stories about Greek gods, and what they believed. The girls really liked a lot of the stories, and we rented Hercules from the library in honor of it. Let me suggest if you want to go to the Parthenon, schedule a tour. You only have to have 10 people for a tour, with a tour guide. We had 11, and since we were a homeschool group, we got the discount rate. I think if we had gone without the tour, it would have taken us 20 min. to go through the whole thing. However, we were there about 1 hr. and 20min. The girls did real well, and the husband/wife team that led our group was real informative and tried to involve the girls. The only other child was my neice who is 12.



Hannah the strongest 3 year old is pushing shut a door that weighs 7 1/2 tons!! All by herself!!

























Athena, goddess of wisdom and war - a 41 foot tall statue. There was about a 3 foot statue in the first room we went to and I had told Madelyn there was a huge statue. She thought the 3 foot replica was it and she was very let down. When we walked into the room with the real one, Natalie's mouthed gaped wide open for a good 30 seconds.









The girls enjoyed chasing the geese in the grass surrounding the building.





We finished the tour and walked over to the park and ate a picnic. It was a great day and another reason to homeschool!!

2 comments:

Griner Mom said...

It looks like you guys had a great time and that the weather was perfect. I am sure the girls learned a lot and will always remember that day. I am so glad you had fun and that Aaron could go too. I hope you guys are having a good week and I love the pictures!!! What a great teacher you are!!!!

Mom said...

Hello there Pirkle Family! I enjoyed looking at your blog! You may remember me....Ashley's mom. Your family is growing up! I am so proud that you are not afraid to "do what you think best". I love Nashville! I've not taken this tour, yet. After hearing about your trip....I will be planning my own. God Bless! Melody Koppe